Thursday, February 25, 2010

BABY THERE'S A SHARK IN THE WATER


Strolled into Topshop on Grafton Street (my sad rather large heaven btw) the other day and heard VV Brown for the first time. I'd only heard of her once before as the winner of the Mercury Award, but really, I was struck by something in her lyrics:
But when I’m in doubt, I open my mouth
And words come out, words come out like
Baby, there’s a shark in the water
There’s something underneath my bed
Oh, please believe I said
Baby, there’s a shark in the water
I caught them barking at the moon
Now when I first heard that I was like 'YES YES I CAN RELATE TO YOU', which I will explain later. Upon further examination however ie. watching the music video, I have discovered she is singing about her boyfriend who is cheating on her with some tall girl in very nice heels.
Hmm.
Back to the relating thing. See, what I THOUGHT she was singing about is when you say something completely stupid around either someone you've just met, or someone you like. I presume you know what kind of stupid I'm talking about, not the batting your eyelashes and giggling,none of that shit. I mean like 'GUYS THIS IS LIKE THAT BIT IN LORD OF THE RINGS THE RETURN OF THE KING WHEN.....(don't think I'll continue that)' or possibly 'you look like pear if it had hair' or the infamous 'I had a dream about you' followed by demented smiling.
But what if you don't know you're saying stupid things? Well, here are some signs to look out for:
  • the very vague smiling and nodding
  • the widening of eyes slightly and looking anywhere but at you
  • edging away slightly
  • saying 'I've just got to go to the bathroom' and then never returning
  • if you follow them to the bathroom and hear 'mom...she's being weird again, will you pick me up now?'
  • the 'OH LOOK AT THE TIME' line may be crop up
  • rapid change in conversation
  • never hearing from the person again
(yes I did just do that in bullet points..it's been a very long day okay?)
Of course, I make myself out to be a complete emo/social reject here and maybe the whole blogging thing doesn't further my case BUT the thing is..I actually LOVE making awkward situations, saying the most socially retarded lines and occasionally cracking out Awky the Turtle when in really desperate situations.
SO that's all I really wanted to say today, let some steam off/express ma views etc....
Going to see The Lovely Bones this weekend so stay tuned for a review perhaps?

FIN

btw(it's the new P.S):I include a picture of Dilbert and Dogbert as I base my life around their lines.

(kidding)

Also my hair today was oddly like Dilbert's tie.

Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment